Wednesday, November 10, 2004

 

Say What?!

As some of you may know, I am doing a number of jobs to make money while I wait for my wedding and subsequent move back to the United Kingdom. One of these jobs is at a preschool...yes, it's true...I am being entrusted with the minds of tomorrow...mwa ha ha!!!! I am working as the teacher's assistant and thought I would take a moment today and relate a story.

We were out on the playground running, swinging, digging for Truman Capote's remains, when I hear from a jungle gym something that sounds like "C'mon guys...poop on me!" Thinking I must've heard wrong, I go to aforementioned gym de jungle and saw a boy in the middle, standing watching the other kids swinging and saying, "Poop on me!" Now I remember being that age when dirt rocked, mud was divine, and peeling a scab was a good afternoon's entertainment, but even then I might've thought twice about "Poop on me."

However, let's look at it another way. Maybe I witnessed one of the great moments of epiphany common when working with children. Maybe "Poop on me" was merely a way of saying, "Let me join in your game. I am lonely down here in this hole and would like to endear myself to your swinging game even to the point of debasing myself. I am in need of love and friendship and would give even my dignity to be part of something greater than myself!" Maybe this child was reaching out to the dominating ruling class in the only way he knew how. Maybe by "pooping", others would join in his revolt to commonality and rise up into a powerful class demanding the right for equal jungle gym time for all who would care to swing!!!!

Or maybe he just wanted them to poop on him...

Makes you think...

Comments:
...but not for very long.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?