Sunday, November 21, 2004

 

Secret of Life Found!!!!

And the secret of life is...7. Just think about it and it all becomes clear (eerie music begins)...Isn't it clearer now...look into my eyes...

Actually, I don't know the secret (or meaning) of life, but I just figured that it would be more fun to start my blog with an attention grabbing headline than just what I was going to be writing about. But now that you're reading, you have to finish...it's the law...in Utah...

GUESS WHAT?! Yes, this is the phrase that I hear the most of during my teaching adventures. It is either in answer to a question or completely unsolicited. The funny thing, though, is that the "what" is always completely and utterly irrelevant to the happening at hand. An example:

Me:Ok guys. Has anyone had a moment when they made someone else sad?

Child: Guess what?!

Me: What?

Child: I have a turtle.

Me: That's great (sigh)

Or how about this one:

Me: Now listen up. Who did the Indians invite for thanksgiving?

Child: Guess what?!

Me: (hesitant) What...

Child: My belly button hurts.

Me: Umm...ok...(sigh of defeat)

Or my all time favorite:

Child: (running up to me on the playground) Guess what?!

Me: (coming out of reverie in which I am a pirate) Oh...umm...what...

Child: I have a secret.

Me: Ok, what is it?

Child: Umm...I forget (scampering off)

And then out comes the razor blades...

However, although these questions are more often than not nonsensical, it gave me insight into another human trait that is uniquely manifested in children. There is a need for attention that is painfully obvious in these little ones and it is a need that is so powerful as to take precedence over anything else going on. It is also an end in and of itself which is evidenced by the lack of a real "what" to any given "guess" question. It is as if they have subconsciously said "Ok get attention", but then forgot to go the next step and ask "Why?"

"That's great" some of you may say. "Kids want attention and they don't care what it's for. Freud move over...there's a new kid in town "(mockingly said...shame on you!!!) I would say to your sarcasm (oh and believe me I feel it...and I know where you live!) that this is a life lesson that we should all take notice of. I suggest that our need for attention doesn't diminish with age, but that we merely become more adept at determining socially viable "what"s to answer with, therefore getting the attention without necessarily showing that the attention was the end one hoped for all along. Maybe many of our desires wherein we see what we want having paramount imnportance are merely elaborate subconscious "what"s that are so convoluted as to make us believe that we are not merely vying for attention and focus.

So next time someone has to speak or share their opinion or has something so important that it seems they might explode without sharing to all who would listen, step back and see if maybe, just maybe, they are really just telling you a very believeable version of "I have a turtle". And, if they are, then do what we do to children...kick them...hard...in the knee...and then poop on them...they asked for it...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?