Wednesday, August 10, 2005

 

Work...We don't need no stinking work...

Well ladies and gentlemen, I have been in England for close to two and a half months now and I have worked probably 10-15 days TOTAL!!!! However, this in not from a lack of trying. So far I have engaged in being fired from spraying perfume, selling inheritance tax advice, giving massages to people in bars, and refereeing snowball fights in July (thank you college and graduate school!!!)

However, I finally passed a store approval (meaning I BSed my way into them thinking I knew how to spray perfume...which way does the nozzle go?...) and should be working there at the beginning of september.

Also, have had auditions for Joseph (shout out to Zhubin and Bone) and Mary Poppins and had an audition today for a US and European tour which I have to go to call backs for tomorrow. Now, the reason I mention all this is that, before Mary Poppins, I auditioned for My Fair Lady. Both of these shows are Cameron Mackintosh shows and thus I was auditioning for perhaps the most influential casting director in London Musical Theatre and both shows I had to audition in English accents. Now my accents are good, but when you, as an American, walk into a room of Englishmen and then do a song in a cockney accent, you can't help but feel like you've walked into the classroom with only your underwear on. They're all weighing you with their beady little English eyes... I just think it's funny that the team of casting people who will be most influential in my career here have only seen me be English. Go figure!

Anywho, I also wanted to pose a question like Zhubin did, but perhaps this one will be a bit more difficult.

Would you rather:

Know there was a God and you would go to Heaven but have the most miserable and long life possible (75-90 years of pain, disease, perhaps disfigurement...anything that would make each minute seem like an eternity and also be completely alone and unloved by any other human on the planet)

or

Have the most perfect life, family, friends, career, health...everything is honestly perfect and every day is a dream, but you know that when you die there is nothing after it

Your rebuttal, sir....

ADDENDUM:
Ok here is the question changed slightly:

A life full of suffering with the chance of an afterlife

or

A life full of happiness with no chance of an afterlife

Comments:
I choose the 2nd option. The perfect life. The reason behind my choosing is this...knowing that there is nothing after my perfect life I would want to my life to be as perfect as it can be. Now if you would have said that I could live a perfect life and think there is nothing after it but there actually is and I would be damned to eternal hellfire and torture for eternity then I would have to choose option 1. Does that make sense? Well, it does in my perfect life.
-Graham
 
i'm pondering.

but in the meantime, I WAS IN JOSEPH TOO!!!!! :-P
 
Are you kidding me?! That's the easiest question ever asked in the history of the planet.

Graham and Rachel, you can't possibly have understood the question correctly. Christopher's saying that you can either live a great life for 80 years and then die and nothing happens, or live a terrible life for 80 years and then GO TO HEAVEN FOR ALL ETERNITY.

Where's the dilemma in that, Ragland? I couldn't choose Option 1 fast enough.

And you never even responded to my question on my blog! For shame!
 
Really...choice 1...earthly good for 80 years over heavenly good for eternity just to save yourself from a little suffering...man you are a weenie...that must be why I didn't respond to you...
 
hod on...I forgot which order I put them in...you chose well...I stand corrected...I will respond to your blog...master...
 
I'll take living for eternity for $500 Alex. Don't we as humans fear that our death leads to nothing any way? I know it makes me feel better to believe that my consciousness won't just poof with death. I'm with Zhubin on this one; I couldn't pick option 1 fast enough.

~Brian
 
When you ask the question though you are saying one way there is a heaven and the other way there is not. Of course anyone would choose eternal happiness but if there is not one then everyone would choose happiness while they are alive. Your question needs to be more specific...like Zhubins question.
-Graham
 
I don't see how you could create a dilemma with this, the obvious choice no matter what would be eternal bliss. That's part of the problem with the whole pie in the sky syndrome in the United States. "What? I'm polluting and ruining it for future generations? Pfff so what? We all go to heaven." I'd suffer for 1,000 years if afterwards I had eternal bliss in Heaven for the rest of infinity. Maybe a question like, would you rather live 80 years happily and then poof? OR Would you rather suffer intermittently between happiness for eternity while reincarnating as various earthly creatures (bugs, humans, reptiles, ect).
 
That last post was mine

~Brian
 
Just read your addendum. Is there a specific percentage you're giving me here? Because if it's like 99%, I'm all about the suffering. If it's like 5%, I'm not so sure.

By the way, economic theory can actually point out the exact percentage at which you should choose one or the other. I'll try to figure it out.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?