Sunday, May 07, 2006

 

Memory Lane

In this blog post, I think I will take a break from recounting the present and revisit the past. Why, I hear you ask, have you suddenly decided to dispense with now and leap to then? Why abandon us?! Why?!!! Well, blame Josh Pinchok.

For those of you who don't know, Josh was in Ensemble with me back in 97-98. He and his fiancee are taking a three month backpacking tour around Europe and stayed with Rachael and I on their way to the main land. Over a pint or two, Josh and I began to reminisce about some of the times of yesteryear. Then, like a bolt of lighting striking the still land on a cloudless day, the most hilarious incident ever to occur in the entire world came back to both of us. And now I will share it with you. For those of you who don't know this story, I invite you in for a moment of incredulity and hilarity. For those who do...sit back and remember...

It was late in the school year, a balmy April night, and Ensemble was onstage about to do the closing number in what many described as the best spring program ever. Cue a medley of Phantom of the Opera songs. There we are...men in tuxes, women in ball gowns. The lights are just right. The expectant hush fall over the crowd. On the clavinova, Heather Janney begins the first chords of the medley to end all medleys. But wait...these chords billowing from the pit. Could they be? Are they? Yes...they are not the right key! Oh fate...curse you!!!!

But wait, we are all talented singers. We can make it work in whatever key. The first part of the medley was the song "The Phantom of the Opera" and half the choir took it up the octave and half took it down. The resulting dichotomy led many in the audience to raise an eyebrow. Has something gone wrong, they muse, or is this perhaps a Glass-ian motif in which the dissonance is the integral part of the piece. Yes, some mused this thought...and then came Think of Me.

The women of Ensemble sang this bit alone and bless them...they gave it their all. Unfortunately, the sound issuing from the stage more closely resembled 400 cats in heat getting mauled by savage hyenas. Finally, mercifully, Mr. Crowe cuts us off and allows the piece to die the death it had been longing for.

All eyes look to the pit where our accompanist extraordiaire realizes that she has forgotten to depress the transpose button. As we hear the chord slowly rise to where it should be, the stress of the moment became too much for two of our members. Yea, they could hold it no more and between the herculean effort extended to stop the giggles and the utter concentration needed not to catch anyone else's eye, the ensuing battle claimed a victor...the bladder. Yes it's true.

Both girls peed themselves on stage.

Oh yes, it's true. Twas not even a tiny bit of urine but a full blown expulsion of pee. Beneath the beautiful ball gowns of each of the girls stood a puddle of fresh steaming urine. But, the show must go on so what do we do?? We do the number in the right key and spend the next 8-10 minutes dancing, moving, and all the while spreading the golden liquid around the stage...a veritable piss mopping, if you will. Thus the night ended with a very relieved choir, an appreciative audience, and a thoroughly soaked stage.

To this day, every time I think about those two ladies wetting themselves, I piss myself...in fact I just did it...ok that's the end of my post...I need new pants...

Comments:
Christopher Ragland!

You may not realize that your blog is read most avidly by my Mother, Kathy Perry. She was quick to update me when the infamous Ensemble Pee Pee Incident was posted--thank you for sharing this with the world...I know it will bring joy to many =)

I had not kept up with your blog, but it was delightful to read. I'm truly glad to see all is well.

email me if you get a chance =) (Miss Brock can give you my current address). I'm living in Anchorage and come next cinco de mayo, I'm getting hitched =) (any chance you'll be in Knoxville next spring? Or any chance you and your better half might want to take a trip to lovely Alaska?) I'd love to see you =)

take care Christopher!
mrp

p.s. Do keep in mind that my MOTHER is reading every bit of your blog =)
 
Two weeks? Wow, thanks for the tip, Louis Lando Calrissian Random Numeric Code! Wait a second...

Whoops! Looks like it's time for some good old-fashioned word verification at Rag Land.
 
I kinda want to call this number. What's the deal here, they just give you fake documents? Or do they actually have an unaccredited college set up that gives you the degree after a couple of classes?
 
I believe its an unaccredited sort of thing, I see these on TV all the time now for whatever reason.

~Brian
 
Ok how do I do word verification...I thought I was safe...apparently not...
 
Yes, Mr. Pinchok contacted me about staying with you. Am glad it worked out! For my Ensemble blast from the past, Erica Drew will be staying with me in the ATL in a few weeks. Ta-da!

Oh yes, the ill-fated Phantom night... I can't think of any better way to show my love and devotion to Ensemble than stepping through the puddle that was on that stage. Hilarious!

Glad you had fun! Miss you!
 
Dang you, Christopher!!

I was in training and the room was all silent, working on a lab, whilst I read this. I got to the part where you were mopping the golden liquid all over the place and lost it. Though I did not lose it in the same sense as the 2 girls on stage, I blurted out a stifled, snort-of-a-laugh that caused everyone to look in my general direction.

The instructor looked pissed! Heheh!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?